Ensure a Happy 2011 With These 5 Tips
As the year comes to a close, it is time to start planning for 2011. There are several things you can do now to ensure your company runs smoothly and remains profitable.
- Review your employment policies – Many employment laws have changed since President Obama was elected, so it is important to make sure your policies are up to date. Also, be sure that your employee handbook continues to represent the company’s expectations of employees and the employees’ expectations of the company.
- Create a social networking policy – Recently, there have been several news stories involving employee comments on Facebook. This is the perfect time to ensure you have a social networking policy that complies with state and federal laws.
- Conduct employee performance evaluations – Tell employees how they did last year and what you expect from them this year. This can improve the relationship between you and your employees, and can put employees on a track to success for the coming year.
- Give a summary of benefits to your employees – Remind employees of all the benefits you provide them and show them how the costs of those benefits equates X percent of their salary/wages in additional compensation.
- Schedule training – Schedule any harassment prevention training mandated by your state (e.g. sexual harassment prevention is mandated in several states) and any recommended training for supervisors or employees (e.g. union-free training)
We wish you all a very happy holiday season and hope that the New Year brings prosperity to you and your business. We offer assistance to management on these and all types of employment-related issues. If we can be of assistance in this area, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 203.965.0560.